Monday 20 July 2009

Can Spaceclaim claim the future of CAD?

Spaceclaim have released the above video on YouTube which I came across via Solidsmack on Twitter.

Quite frankly I'm staggered! I suppose we all expect that this would happen sooner or later, but really, I was expecting later rather than the sooner.

For those who might have seen Ironman, the connections to Robert Downey Jr manipulating CAD files in holographic free space are obvious and certainly the technology, whilst in its' infancy is already available. It's only a matter of time before such things become a practical reality.

I do however have a few reservation about this showcase. Spaceclaim have made some claims in the past that haven't quite held up to scrutiny according to some reports by the media.

My second reservation is, that for more than a decade I have been attending demonstrations, exhibitions and trade shows, where various vendors have demonstrated the capabilities of their software, I have found that the scripted and rehearsed presentations have shown the software in the best possible light. However, when put to the test of working on-the-fly, often I have found the software to be much less polished and on occasion a downright flop.

Lets hope that this won't be the case for Spaceclaim as it could well be the making of them. Though expect the likes of Autodesk, and Siemens to be hot on their tails, I know Dassault already are.

No comments:

Post a Comment